Since we're completely redoing the vegetable garden anyway, I decided to re-use the landscaping fabric from the veggie patch as liner for the sidewalk beds. Since I never did anything with the long thin bed across from the hostas last year, I decided to start there first.
(That tiny thing down at the end is a milk crate. Hold me.)
Section one. Relatively easy since I had removed most of the rocks from this corner last year. After this it got a little harder. Whoever originally landscaped the beds put down fabric under the rocks, but it has been so long since that was done that fully developed soil with worms and everything has covered the fabric and the lower layers of stones. And thus, before putting down newspapers and fabric, I have to dig out all the rocks and pull out the weeds.
It's not unpleasant work, especially on a really nice Spring day (which yesterday was), but it sure is time-consuming. Indy and I worked from 8:30 to 12:30 and then from 1:30 to 2:30, and this is as far as we got. We would have kept going, but it started to rain.
Here's what we have left to do on the right side, before we even get to the hosta beds:
I can honestly say I now fully understand why wealthy people hire landscapers and gardeners.
It's supposed to be pretty out this afternoon, so we're going to head out and try to make some more progress. Indy is currently napping, to save his strength for the rigors of supervising me.
We went back out after lunch today and got another 6-foot section finished. We're now exactly halfway done, even though the photo doesn't show it very well.
I also found out today that EvilDucky has scored some more hostas from her coworker, so at some point, we'll plant those to prettify the now-empty side.